Friday 31 March 2017

Tonight on Dinner Plate: Tartiflette par Camembert

In my last post I reviewed Le Rustique Camembert which I mentioned was purchased for a specific cooking purpose. Well here's what it went into:


This is my attempt at a French dish called "tartiflette" which was brought to my attention by the Proff, friend of the blog who will most likely most a nasty anonymous comment of jealousy when she reads this post. 😀

Tartiflette is traditionally made with a cheese from the Savoy region of France called "reblochon" but that was not readily available due to its lower shelf life. The helpful clerk at Springbank Cheese Co. recommended Le Rustique as a passable substitute and whether or not it truly compares to reblochon I cannot say. What I can say is the dish I made was delicious. 


Essentially a casserole of potatoes, onions, bacon, crème fraîche, and cheese I was not really worried that it would turn out inedible. All the ingredients we put in were tasty and ipso facto the end result was damn fine eating. This blog was never intended as an instructional manual but more of a way for me to share my mucking about the kitchen so I'll forego any recipe-like instructions because a) it would be stolen, b) I'm not a trained cook nor do I have any delusions as to my abilities, and c) I substituted Le Rustique Camembert for reblochon and some vegetable stock for the white wine so it's not fair to say I followed a recipe exactly.  This was my first time cooking with crème fraîche and I almost used sour cream but we were able to find a perfectly sized container of the real stuff at my local grocery store. Truly I am blessed.

True gourmands would perhaps say I haven't made tartiflette at all but some other random dish and to them I say "wharves." I made something new to me that both the lady of the house and I quite enjoyed. I'm going into a food coma now, see you next time.

1 comment:

  1. First off, if you're calling to call me out so blatantly and specifically, the least you could do is spell that version of my handle correctly; there's a single f. One more f than I give about you and your tasty cheese meals.

    That was harsh, but it just came to me and who am I to shun brilliance or keep it to myself?

    Also firstly, it is you who will be jealous when I drink and eat my way through the beer and cheese pairing you linked to on the Springbank Cheese site.

    Also, so glad that you got to make this. I would have said ricotta as a substitute, but the intertubes do indeed first suggest sour cream, though further research suggests that you can do whatever the hell you want and that you should not let availability of ingredients get in the way of what you want to make. Rest assured, I shall be seeking out crème fraîche and good bacon when I attempt this recipe in about a year's time.

    ReplyDelete